09 November 2009

My Dishwater Days

Rating: ★★★★★
Title: My Dishwater Days
Edited by: Hilary Tham
Genre: Poem 

During this holidays, I went to Kinokuniya bookstore in Takashimaya with my tutor. She suggested me to read some poems, not only reading books because i wanted to learn new writing style and languages . She recommended this poem called "My Dishwater Days". It is about the poet own past life.

NEW VOCABULARY: 1) ore - rock, earth, etc from which metal can be obtained    
2) Lustre - the shining quality of a suface 
­
­What kind of writing style and laguage does the writer use? Quote examples to support what you say.
When I read this poem, I could notice that her writing style is unique. As you can see the title of poem 'Dishwater days", she represented her memories of the past which are dull and insignificant, fit to be thrown away. There was one sentence that I had to think for a long time. 'the ore I sometimes find' - I couldn't really understand this sentence first so I had to research on the internet. It meant the memories that are worth keeping. I am pretty sure it was not easy to make use this elaborate comparison in poetry. But, I want to try this language styles for my own writings.
­
­Describe the main character. How is she/he like or unlike you? How interesting is she/he to read about?
I was soaked into this poem and when I understand all the means what the poet tried to tell, I read this once more. The main character in it is the poet, herself. She says that valuable metal make you remember the whole thing. It it inside your storage. I could compeletely understood this sentence because whenever I go to overseas for vacation, I usually think in that ways.
­
Relavant Findings:http://washingtonart.com/beltway/tham.html
this is a site of the poet biography

No comments:

Post a Comment